June 15, 2014, Fathers Day: My oldest is learning how to smoke meat low and slow. She has smoked pork, chicken, salmon and a whole host of vegetables. She asked me what I wanted for Fathers Day. “Smoked steak of course”, I said.
Reverse Sear Details
- NY Strip Steak 1.78 lbs, 2 inches thick
- Dry rub kosher salt and crushed tellicheery peppercorns wrapped and refridgerated for 4 hours
- MasterBuilt Electric Smoker
- 225F until internal temperature hits 100F (50 minutes)
- Hickory smoke using a-maze-n smoker tube http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS
- Weber Gas Grill
- 500F for about 18 minutes
- removed when internal temperature hits 132F
- Rested covered for 12 minutes
What we would do different
- Use Rib Eye Steak
- Remove from searing at 120F and let rest longer (meat was not rare enough)
- Rub in more salt and pepper
Jackie also prepared smoked garlic (topped with oil, butter and salt) and some stuffed jalapenos and sweet peppers. See pictures below.
1.78 lb NY Strip Steak about 2 inches thick
Salt and pepper on steak
Jackie showing off her work
Searing the smoked steak at 500F
Ready for resting
Taking the tops off the garlic
Drizzle oil and salt over garlic before smoking.
We use foil boats for vegetables that will drip
Garlic was very good
Garlic smoked for 2 ½ hours. Could have been smoked 3 hours.
Sweet peppers and jalapenos, some stuffed with cream cheese